Many students enter the world of work as minors (under 18 years of age). Students work for a wide variety of reasons—to earn income, gain on-the-job experience, or connect what they are learning in the classroom to the real world.

Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits indicate the location of the employer as well as the number of hours a minor may work. During the school year, work permits are issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Please see below for obtaining a work permit during the summer months. 

How to Get a Work Permit During the Academic Year: 

  1. Pick up and Complete the Work Permit Application Form from School Office
  2. Drop off completed work permit at the School Office
  3. Allow three days for permit processing
  4. Official work permit is given to directly to student

If you have questions contact your School Administrator. 

How to Get a Work Permit During the Summer: 

All work permits are being processed electronically through Davis Sr. High School.

Students who need a work permit and attended Davis Sr. High School, Da Vinci High School, King High School, DSIS and all junior high schools need to contact DSHS.

Please visit the Davis Sr. High School website for instructions on how to obtain a work permit. 

If you have questions please contact:  Fabiola Gutierrez at [email protected]  

Additional information from the California Department of Education